Head lice is that one problem which most of us had struggled with as a child. Instances of this problem plaguing grown-ups is also not rare.
When left untreated for long, lice can trigger extreme itches and profound discomfort.
Keeping such things in mind, we have come up with a bunch of home remedies you can try out to ward off this problem and prevent their recurrence in days to come.
- Olive oil holds the foremost spot in our list of home remedies for lice. You need to apply it on your scalp until it looks saturated and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Next you will have to comb out the dead lice and shampoo your hair for removing excess oil.
- This process can be repeated daily until you find considerable improvement. You should also make it a point to clean your clothes carefully post every session.
- Next comes mayonnaise in our list of home remedies for lice. You can use this delicious salad dressing to ward off all signs of scalp itching by just dabbing generous amount of the same over your scalp and then donning a shower cap.
- Leaving mayonnaise overnight on your scalp suffocates the lice and also imparts adequate moisturization to your hair strands.
- You just need to thoroughly comb your hair the next morning before rinsing it using a dish detergent to remove the excess oil present in mayonnaise.
- Petroleum jelly is a common household item which we all have stacked around somewhere be it in our closet or drawers.
- You can use petroleum jelly as an effective home remedy for lice. However, it is imperative to note here that petroleum jelly is resistant to cleansers and might require multiple washes to get the grease off your hair strands. Such attributes make petroleum jelly ideal for people having short hair.
- The powerful antiseptic properties of tea tree oil make it an ideal home remedy for lice. You need to use it in a way similar to mayonnaise to restrict the growth of lice by suffocating them.
- You can apply tea tree oil either in raw form or by diluting it with water and spraying directly on your hair strands. Next you need to wrap a towel around your head before rinsing it off using a herbal shampoo. Repeating the tea tree treatment twice a week can provide you with best results.
- You can even add drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo bottle if you are on the lookout for a fuss free method of applying the same.
- Onion juice as we all know serves as an excellent home remedy for promoting the growth of new fail follicles. But you can also use this miracle potion for warding off head lice.
- For this, you need to apply the onion juice on your scalp and leave it on for about 3 to 4 hours before rinsing it off thoroughly using a shampoo.
- It is advisable to repeat this process with an interval of 3-4 days to get the best results.
- Garlic has been used since ages as a home remedy for lice infestation. If you don’t mind the terrible smell, then you need to mash about 8 to 10 garlic cloves and mix a few teaspoons of lime juice before applying the paste on your scalp.
- This mixture needs to be left on for about 30 minutes before being cleaned off using a shampoo. The pungent smell of garlic can prove to be fatal for both live lice as well as their nits.
- You need to carry on with this treatment weekly over a span of two months for cleansing your scalp in its totality from lice infestation.
- Using mashed apple to tackle lice infestation might paint a pretty messy picture but it surely earns brownie points in terms of its effectiveness.
- Applying this home remedy for lice on the scalp and leaving it on for a few hours can help you tackle the pesky critters once and for all.
- But for best results, you need to cover every single strand of your hair with the mashed apples.
- You can mix your hair conditioner with a pinch of baking soda to suffocate hair lice and ward them off for good.
- After applying this mixture generously over your strands, you will have to divide your hair into separate sections and comb through the same.
- Once you are done, you can use an anti-lice shampoo to rinse your hair. Using this home remedy for lice every alternate day can remove lice in its entirety and prevent its recurrence.
- You can mix vinegar and salt and dab it on your scalp to fight off lice. Salt tends to dehydrate lice while vinegar kills the nits and the young ones.
- Vinegar might not be able to kill adult lice, but it surely can loosen the glue which helps lice in clinging to your hair strands. You can combine this method with combing for benefitting out of better results.
Neem oil is another popular home remedy for lice which can remove its infestation from your scalp when used on a daily basis. For this you will have to add in a few drops of neem oil with your regular shampoo and use the same for washing your hair.
Once you are done washing your tresses, you can remove the dead lice by segregating your hair into different sections and combing through the same.
Eucalyptus oil can serve you well if you have been suffering from scalp sensitivities which get triggered by opting for chemical treatments.
You can proceed with this home remedy for lice by just mixing a few drops of olive and eucalyptus oil before massaging the same on to your scalp.
You can leave the mixture overnight and even wear a shower cap to preserve the moisture. Showering in the morning and subsequently combing your hair can remove the dead lice.
Some of the most common symptoms of head lice are constant itching, swollen lymph nodes, tickling sensation on the head and sores due to scratching.
If you have been suffering from similar problems lately, then think no more and proceed with the home remedy for lice eviction.